Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Funny Church Humor

When Alex was eight months old, we visited a church in our local area after we were invited by our wonderful neighbors. Because we thought so highly of them, our little family began to check out their church. It was a church of Christ congregation and neither of us had ever been to that kind of church. In fact, we did not know much at all about church of Christ beliefs or traditions since we had come from a different denominational background. David grew up Baptist and I was an Easter attendee with my parents at predominantly Baptist churches.


So, David and I attended our neighbors' church for several weeks. They were in a temporary location until funds could be raised for a new church building. I thought that this explained why the church did not have a choir or a piano/organ. It took almost 6 weeks before we figured out that most church of Christ traditions worship in an acapella nature. I happened to ask someone if there would be a piano in the new building...silly me!!! It really wasn't an issue for us, so we decided to make it our church home and it has been all that Alex has ever really known.

This past weekend, he went with my parents to my grandparents' church(Baptist). When the choir came out, Alex asked my mom,"Baba, what are those people doing?" My family thought that was really funny and so did several people around them, especially since he announced that he did not want to sit and listen to them sing. He wanted to sing, too!

That humorous story points out a lesson to me. I want Alex's beliefs to come from his heart and not just a church tradition. It is so easy to get caught up in traditions without really having a living relationship with Christ. Wherever he attends church throughout his life, I pray that his involvement will stem from his love for Christ, not because he is expected to go to church. This is a good reminder for me, too!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Hey Girlie!

I'm sorry to keep everyone waiting on our news. I'll give you a quick update. Unless the LORD has other plans... Link's sister has FINALLY "hooked up" with a baby to adopt. There will be a 72 hour waiting period before the adoption is final and the babys not even due until the 23rd. SO... the baby girl will be born, and if nothing happens 72 hours later she will be OURS!! Eh hem...I mean, Elizabeth's. HEHEHEHHEE... I feel like she'll be partially mine.
;-)

So, is your blog open to the public yet? I'd LOVE to add you as one of my favorite blogs on my sidebar. No pressure. O;-)

LOVE YOU!

Michelle Bentham Blogspot said...

Great Word! Thanks for hopping on over to my blog and leaving me encouragment and sharing in the Lord's blessed resurrection with me. He is so personal with us, isn't He? Your Alex sounds precious and I am so glad that you recognize the importance of relationship over religious tradition. Both are important, but one is vital and without our relationship with the One True God our ritual is nothing but empty works. You are leaving a spiritual legacy that promises your Alex a better inheritance for his life to come! May God bless you this week as you glory in your calling as a wife and mother!