
Today would have been my Papa's 80th birthday! He passed away almost 11 years ago, but I still miss him everyday. Papa was a treasure to everyone that knew him. He was so much fun, yet he taught me so much throughout my childhood. Playing with him was always a lark because he was such a big kid himself. He would act like he was going to tickle me and that alone would send me into gales of laughter. We spent many afternoons boxing with his boxing gloves. In an attempt to teach me music, he tried to give me guitar lessons. It turned out that I did not have a natural talent for playing the guitar. :)
He and my grandmother(Muner) have been the best earthly examples of unconditional love in my life. The two of them planted the seeds the faith I hold dear today by talking about Jesus and taking me to church with them whenever they had the chance. He was indispensable to me during a tumultuous period in my life and I owe so much to him for what he did. It was only after he died, that I learned how much my grandfather had given to others. Two years into my grief, God surprised me with a job at the company where my grandfather had spent 40 years of his life prior to retirement. It never failed that on the days that I missed him the most and memories of him at work overshadowed me, someone would arrive at my desk with a funny story about him or how he had helped them at a difficult time in their life. He was a gift to everyone!
One of his favorite things to do was to teach people how to water ski. He taught countless numbers of us how to ski without ever getting into the water. His patience was unparalleled. For this reason, I eagerly jumped at his offer to teach me how to drive. He would travel the 30 minute distance to my house and take me for lessons in the country. I learned more than just driving on those Saturdays! Whenever I hear the song "Drive" by Alan Jackson, it takes me back to our road trips.
He wasn't perfect and he did have his flaws, just like the rest of us. His two biggest drawbacks in my eyes were his love for HeeHaw and his admiration for Dolly Parton. His affinity for HeeHaw interfered with my desire to watch The Muppet Show on the Saturday nights that I got to spend with my grandparents. He also seemed to have a continual craving for ice cream, which in itself isn't bad. For a skinny man, he could polish off an entire homemade ice cream freezer by himself! There were always two freezers at family gatherings...one for him and one for the rest of us!!
Some other things that remind me of him are Candy Corn, the Oak Ridge Boys, and the word "Girl". When I was 3, my grandmother left him in charge while she went to the grocery store. Papa let me eat an entire bag of Candy Corn while he polished off a bag of Orange Slices. I got violently sick after my grandmother arrived back home and his secret was then out! My papa also loved country music such as the Oak Ridge Boys and the Statler Brothers. He was a little irritated when my sister was discovered ripping his beloved eight track tapes while muttering,"hate county, hate country, hate country...". But my sister and I knew that he loved us despite our own shortcomings. He would always greet us with a warm hug and a "Hey Girl". In fact those were the last words that he spoke to me before he took an unexpected turn toward eternity.
Papa, your patient guidance continues to influence me to be a better mom to the spunky grandson that you never got to meet on this Earth. Alex and I tickle each other everyday because I know that is what you would do with him if you were here. I am wanting to learn guitar again and this time, I will pass on what I learn to Alex. You made me laugh every time I was with you! I also know how much you treasured me. I only hope that you knew how much I cherished you! I am looking forward to the day that you greet me with your loving "Hey Girl". Then, as the song below says, "there will be no more sad farewells"!
To enjoy more Favorite Foto Fridays, hop on over to Kiss the Frog 4 Me.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Favorite Foto Friday-Celebrating My Papa
Posted by Stephanie at 10:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to you Papa! I, too, had a very special Papa that passed away several years ago. I consider myself very blessed, as you do too, to have had such a special person in my life.
That is so sweet... I miss my Papa too... aren't they every girl's dream? Love the pic of him in his unifrom too!
What precious memories! I've been enjoying reading your blog--you sure have got the themed days down. :) I'm afraid I woudn't be able to keep up!
Oh I just love the theme and foto you chose for this week - I know he must be so very proud of you! Thank you so much for sharing him!
Rebekah and Jaden
Great Tribute! I too, like the others miss my papa too!
How very sweet. I miss mine, too.
Peace and Hugs,
Becca
What a lovely tribute to my Grandfather. I think of my grandparents every day and miss them and wish my daughter could know them. One of the sad things I think about is how I never got to know my dads father. Treasure those memories!
Welcome to FFF!
What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Grandparents play such a special role in our lives. He sounds like such a wonderful man.
Have a great weekend!
Love & FROG . . .
What a beautiful tribute to your Papa! I was lucky enough to have known several of my grandparents and I miss them all. I do still have one grandma left and I love her dearly!
Kelley
This was a nice post your wrote for your papa. I can see how big an influence he was on you. He sounded like a great papa to have. You are a lucky girl.
Post a Comment