My Savior, My God by Aaron Schust
The emotion in this song always takes me back to my junior year of high school. During the spring of that year, I became close friends with a senior named Linda. We were both on Flag Corps, so we spent almost all of our free time together. She had already shared many, many times about Christ's love for me. Still, I remained skeptical. I finally agreed to go with her to a Friday night Bible Study because her faith did interest me. The group she took me to had a funny name...People in God's Service or P.I.G.S. At first, I was a little put off by the name and the kids that were there. I thought I had stumbled into a weird cult, not only due to the name, but most of the teens there had come from broken homes, alcohol problems, drug problems, and the guys all had long hair,etc. My parents were(and are) still married and I had never tried drugs or alcohol because I was too scared. So, I was a little unnerved by my surroundings and not sure what to expect from the evening.
One of the guys led the worship/study time and I remember feeling included right from the start. Unlike high school, no one spoke or acted judgemental toward anyone else. I quickly figured out the most important thing that I had in common with these kids was the desire to be unconditionally accepted. As the study wrapped up, everyone was encouraged to seek out a place in the house or in the yard for some quiet time with God. I had no idea what this meant and I was unsure of what to do. So, I spent that time studying everyone else. Some were weeping, others were singing, and there were a few animated conversations going on with God, too. This fascinated me because I had absolutely no idea what prayer was, how to do it, or even why. What I noticed as the group came back together, was the peace that had settled over the gathering.
I enjoyed the summer at those Friday night studies and I went along as they ministered to other people in the community. A favorite place to serve was the local nursing home where most of the kids would visit and pray with the residents. It was a beautiful time for me, but was also extremely confusing. As the summer months went on, I expressed to someone in my family that I wanted to be baptised. It did not go over well! Christianity was a crutch for the weak and lazy to keep from making decisions for themselves, I was told. I brokenheartedly walked away from something I was beginning to believe toward an upbringing that left me empty. It was a heartbreaking turning point in my young life that impacted me throughout many seasons.
For the past few years as my heart has drawn closer to God, I have been looking for a group of believers like those awesome kids. It frustrated me that church seemed to be a place of who you knew and how you knew them. I missed the passion and the awe for God that I had found that spring, along with the unconditional acceptance. The thought that kept nagging at me was that maybe I should keep looking for THAT church and THOSE people. I even tried that out for a time, but I only ended up frustrated with the results. Recently, I have come to realize that I was given that special time to discover the fire within and to take that wherever I am planted so that others will be able to find their own way to a deeper relationship with Christ. In figuring that out, I began to see that God had placed people in my life with that same passion and thirst for Him. I love and cherish each one of those special people He brought into my spiritual walk! I only wish that I knew how to find the girl that started it all, Linda.
For more songs, visit Amy at Signs, Miracles and Wonders. Not everyone is as long winded as myself...I promise!!! Haha!
Friday, April 18, 2008
Then Sings My Soul Saturday~My Savior, My God
Posted by Stephanie at 7:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
This song IS nice! I have heard this song before, but tonite I could concentrate on the words. Thank you!
I enjoyed your "long-winded" story. Thanks for sharing some of your background. (Neat song too!)
Blessings,
e-Mom @ Chrysalis
Thanks for sharing your testimony. Great song.
This IS a beautiful song... one we sing alot at church and it becomes more special each time. Thanks so for sharing your testimony with us... God leads in many unexpected way, doesn't he? AMEN!
Hey Steph,
Wow, I love the new look! You're good.
What an awesome song, and the story behind it.
Those early days in our walk for Christ are always so special. I think it's becaue we were so open and so hungry. A place we need to be all the time.
Have a blessed weekend♥
What an incredible song. And thanks for sharing your story! That is such a powerful testimony!
Blessings,
steph.
WOW-WEE! I LOVE this one! (You're getting REALLY GOOD, my Friend)
Thanks for sharing more of your testimony with us. I LOVE hearing about people, what they believe, and WHY they believe what they do.
I also enjoyed the "sibling" pics below. Our weekend has been CRAZY thus far, and is FAR from over! (I'll probably fill everyone in on this long weekend in my next post)
Hope you're having a WONDERFUL weekend!
LOVE YOU!
Stephanie,
Thanks for stopping by (of course I don't mind that you did - that's what blog land is all about) First of all I have to say I laughed out loud at your second post, making sure I knew you meant to say there instead of their. That is SO me!!
I read your entire blog. Love it. And I love hearing how you came to fall in love with Jesus. That's something so many christians miss. They may love him, but there is a big difference.
I'm glad that maybe my post will be confirmation to get involved in that organization in your community. Sounds like something that would be a tremendous blessing. I keep praying that God will heal me so that I can go out and be a blessing again to others.
Okay, didn't mean to write a book. I will be back often.
Thanks!
Sheryl
histphanie,thanks for visiting my log. I love the PIGS idea...really cool.
Love, Amrita
Love that song!
When you wrote that you had been told that, "Christianity was a crutch for the weak and lazy to keep from making decisions for themselves," it reminded me of when I was working on my Master's at a state school. I got my bachelor's at a private Baptist college, so it was such a shock to me to suddenly have instructors that acted like only ignorant people belived in God. To me, it takes a STRONG, WISE person to give up their own will to follow God's and let Him help us in our decisions. It's so awesome that you were able to overcome that advice!
Anyway, great post as always.
Thanks so much for the link to the blog backgrounds! I saw so many that I liked better than what I'm using now. I'll probably have a new look (again) pretty soon! If I can decide on one. :)
Wow - I find myself sometimes sharing in your Church thoughts. A hometown girl, I know everyone in our church, but I sometimes wonder about the fire I remember from college worship services where you didn't know a soul. Its amazing too how when we sit and wait, the Lord blesses us with a new lesson. Thanks for sharing your story!
Stephanie,
Thank you for your visit.You have a great blog. It is so exciting to find other bloggers who have such a love for God. Thanks for sharing your testimony with me.
To answer your question concerning Lupus, yes I do have it. I am going on year 10. I also had a heart attach back in 2001 that later was attributed to the inflamation from the RA and Lupus.
A blood clot formed inside my heart during my sleep. I was awakened with pains similar to a fibromylagia flare in the chest area. I know that God blessed me with a miracle that day....because he had more for me todo in my lifetime.
Please email me if you would like more information.
May your day be filled with many blessings, lots of love,laugher and family!
Angela
I'm JUST NOW catching up on responding to my "comments." I'm STILL laughing at the one you left for me. The Easter Rat.. LOL! Girl, you're a nut! (I think that's why I was so drawn to you) O=-)
Love you, my Sister!
Post a Comment