Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Word Filled Wednesdays




This verse spoke to me this week. Sometimes the plans that God has for us are so different than what we envisioned for ourselves. I never imagined that I would start a blog about drawing closer to Him, but that is where I am. Recently, I have shared this blog with some treasured friends. Several of them approached me this weekend to tell me that they feel that I am beginning to write my book. Funny, I never told them that I have always had a passion for writing nor did I mention that God began urging me to put my story on paper about four years ago. I kept that secret because then I could change my mind and tell myself that I was just imagining that prompting from Him.

Back in August of 2007, I desperately wanted to change churches. I told myself that I needed to sing in a choir, experience contemporary worship, and be exposed to a different denomination altogether. Please don't take that I am now condemning anyone for participating in those paths of worship. I was just using those as part of my escape plan. We left our church quietly and began attending another local church. The people were friendly and I was counting down the days until I could join the choir because I thought that this was the place for us(ME). My husband and I decided to take a class that would describe what life at that church would be like. I was excited about all of that, plus the opportunity to meet new people. God had other plans!!

The class that we attended was a three week class and was limited to 10 people. Guess what! In this enormous church, we were the only couple in this class. The teacher(we will call him John) would later tell us that he felt that was God's intention all along.

As the class continued, the content of the class was less about different ministry options and instead, focused on becoming a disciple of Christ. There were several topics covered that rocked my boat. I realized that I had been more concerned with what others thought of me and less focused on reaching those that I was trying to impress. That was the first chink in my armour! It was at that moment that I knew where God was leading us and I did not like it one little bit! Several uncomfortable, yet necessary, weeks passed in that class. I was wrestling with this decision to switch churches in a mighty way. John closed in prayer that week by saying,"Lord, I feel that David and Stephanie are so in LOVE with YOU..." He went on to express many things in that prayer, but I felt moved in a way that I can't explain. I had never realized that I was in love with Him, but was terrified of what that meant and where it would take me.

It was clear after that class, although the church we had been attending was a great church, it was not where God was leading us. I fought Him on that as hard as I have ever fought anything and yearned for a different answer even after we went back to our church. Now, several months later, I am beginning to see why He led us back. For me, it has become a place of unconditional love and support for the person that I am and the story that I have to tell. This was His plan all along.

For more Word Filled Wednesdays, visit The 160 Acre Woods here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you chose to obey God thru your story! Thanks for joining us today!!!

twinklemom said...

God bless you on your walk! That is a beautiful photo that you shared and it's so wonderful!

lori said...

ONE OF MY FAVORITE....ALLTIME....verses....

your post was moving...our family has been there too...thinking somewhere else would be better...when all along God had us where HE wanted us....

peace!
lori

Susan said...

Hey Stephanie,

Oh what a BEAUTIFUL story! Isn't it neat the way the Lord directs the course of our lives?

I'm so blessed God led you to that class, he was drawing you closer to HIM. Now you can sing a whole new song!!

The story about your name...

I heard a song called Stephanie on the radio the day after I got saved. I had to find it, so I called every bookstore/record place and the very last place had it. My husband knew the song and that's how we met! One year later we were married.

I was going to name my first daughter Stephanie! But God had other plans, I had 5 sons!!


Blessings♥

Gran said...

What a powerful photo and verse. It is amazing when you are enlightened to seeing that it was all in his plan. To me it is always amazing to see how all of my experiences in life over time fit together. God is so GOOD !

Have a wonderful and blessed WFW,
Angela

http://thelifeandtimesofgran.blogspot.com/2008/04/wordfilled-wednesday.html

Tonya said...

Hello Friend..

It's ALWAYS the coolest thing to watch GOD in action.

So neat that your friend confirmed to you what you believed GOD had already placed on your heart. Keep writing, GIRLFRIEND.. You're a TRUE blessing!

Tonya said...

Hello Friend..

It's ALWAYS the coolest thing to watch GOD in action.

So neat that your friend confirmed to you what you believed GOD had already placed on your heart. Keep writing, GIRLFRIEND.. You're a TRUE blessing!

Anonymous said...

That's a great verse you chose for the story you are sharing with us. Continued blessings where God leads you...

Melanie said...

Stephanie, Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story. It is hard sometimes to follow God and sometimes it hurts, but ultimately He does know what is best. This is one of my favorite verses and brings me great comfort and I go thru my daily struggles and struggles to follow where God would have me to go.

Have a blessed week!

Anonymous said...

This was such a wonderful testimony! Thank you for sharing with us.

Love the verse and photo!